Cash, Food Stamps and Other Assistance

These organizations and websites offer additional valuable resources and information to job seekers.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) | Economic self-sufficiency is the goal. For temporary assistance with cash, food stamps or Medicaid, visit the State of Florida’s Department of Children & Family website or call toll free (866) 762-2237.

Florida KidCare | The State of Florida’s health insurance program for uninsured children under age 19, Florida KidCare will check which of four programs your child may be eligible for based on age and family income. (888) 540-540-5437

Child Care Resources | The Early Learning Coalition of Polk County can help you determine if you qualify for Child Care Resource and Referral, School Readiness, and Voluntary Pre-kindergarten programs. (863) 733-9064.

Health Insurance Marketplace | Open Enrollment in the Health Insurance Marketplace ended on March 31st.  However, after Open Enrollment individuals may qualify to enroll in private coverage through the Marketplace if they experience certain life events such as losing job-based coverage, COBRA expiration, moving to a new state, leaving incarceration, and change in income.   Individuals may also apply for Medicaid and CHIP coverage year round through the Marketplace.

The United Way of Central Florida 211 HelpLine | 2-1-1 is an easy to remember telephone number that connects people with important community social & human services. United Way of Central Florida spearheaded the implementation of 2-1-1 for Polk County as a way to provide comprehensive and specialized information and referrals 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Tobacco Free Florida | The Florida Department of Health’s (DOH) Tobacco Free Florida campaign is a statewide cessation and prevention campaign funded by Florida’s tobacco settlement fund. Tobacco users interested in quitting are encouraged to use one of the state’s three ways to quit.

Community Services Block Grant Activities | The Community Services Block Grant Program (CSBG) provides federal funds to designated local governments and non-profit agencies called Community Action Agencies to assist eligible low-income households in attaining the skills, knowledge and motivation necessary to achieve self sufficiency.

Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Section 3 | Helps foster local economic development, neighborhood economic improvement, and individual self-sufficiency. The Section 3 program requires that recipients of certain HUD financial assistance, to the greatest extent feasible, provide job training, employment, and contracting opportunities for low- or very-low income residents in connection with projects and activities in their neighborhoods.

Adult Education | Earning a State of Florida High School Diploma opens the door to new opportunities and pathways in your life!  Upon successful completion of the GED Test, you are awarded a State of Florida High School Diploma and are considered a high school graduate.

The Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) Program assists workers who have been laid off or whose jobs have been threatened because of foreign competition.  Workers covered under a certified Trade Act Petition may be eligible to receive an array of services and benefits including training, reemployment assistance, relocation allowances, wage subsidy for older workers, health coverage tax credit benefits and more.  Contact a CareerSource Polk Employment Security Representative for assistance.

Industrial Education can be obtained through the CareerSource Polk WIOA Program, click for additional information on curriculum frameworks developed by the Florida Department of Education.

Transit Assistance is available for seniors, individuals with disabilities, and veterans.   CareerSource Polk may offer transit assistance to individuals enrolled in eligible programs, ask your Career Specialist about available support services.

Skip to content