Getting started on Employ Florida is easy and will instantly connect you to thousands of jobs locally and throughout the state of Florida. Follow these steps to create a complete profile that can be viewed by employers looking for candidates with your qualifications:
Step 1: Register
Every day thousands of job opportunities are listed in Employ Florida (EF). By registering, you will gain access to job opportunities and find the job that is right for you.
Step 2: Resume
After you create a user name/password, uploading or creating a full resumé and completing the Self-Assessment profile is the best way to get noticed by an employer. Update or modify your resumé every three months to maintain an “Active” status. Accurate contact information is essential so that employers may reach you.
- The purpose of a resume is to show the potential employer what you can do for the company. It is the tool that markets you and helps to generate interest for an employer to schedule an interview.Your resume should focus on a specific type of job. Use the language and key words of the business and the position you are targeting. Use the cover letter to make your experience relevant to the position you are applying for.
- Make sure the summary statement at the top provides the reader with key information about you. It should describe your years of industry experience, skills and abilities, areas of expertise, business characteristics and any other information about you feel will capture the reader’s attention and encourage them to read further.
- Use accomplishment statements to tell the reader what you did, how you did it and the result of your effort. Always start with an action verb. For example: “Generated a 10% increase in revenues in the first six months.” Present yourself accurately and positively. Never exaggerate or lie.
- Make sure your resume is easy to read. It needs to be clear and concise. Make sure it is error-free and has a professional look. Have someone proofread your resume to check for spelling or grammatical errors.
- Use quality resume paper. Never use a carbon copy.
- Use a one or two page resume, but never exceed two pages. Keep the type size 11 or 12 point. Below 11 point is small and difficult to read.
- Don’t include salary requirements or references.
- Always include a cover letter.
Tips for Cover Letters
This is the first thing employers will look at, and it will make an immediate impression about you. Keep the following tips in mind:
- Introduction – Start by telling the employer how you found out about the job opening
- Describe why this position and company interest you
- Research the company in advance so that you can add any recent news or information- setting you apart from the crowd
- This is the chance to explain any problems in your resume, including employment gaps and inexperience
- Let the employer know you would like to further discuss this opportunity and you will contact them next week
Step 3: Recruiter
The Virtual Recruiter will alert you to jobs that match your skills and goals.
Conduct a job search
Click “Save Search” at bottom of page
Give your search a title (Example: “Welder”)
Tell EF how and when to alert you
- Click “Save” and let EF job search for you!